Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Parent Connect

I must confess.  My family of college graduates and middle schoolers does not always reflect the domestic church. In teaching my kids to think for themselves, I often wonder if I could have raised them to be a little more obedient.

Yesterday after lunch, my kids were about to scatter when I required them to all come back and sit down.  My youngest quipped, “Mom’s gonna make us all tell something we’re thankful for.”  A fair round of laughter followed.  So, I changed it up on them.  “I’d like us all to share one thing we are sorry for. Then, when we’re all done, we’ll pray an Act of Contrition.”  

What followed was beautiful.  By the grace of God, we all had just the right amounts of contrition and compassion.  We listened to each other (what, no interrupting?), prayed together (what, no goofing off?), and felt just a little be restored. 

Aristotle believed one must first experience a disease before being able to cure it.  Like you, I am learning day-by-day how to parent faithfully during a quarantine.  Thankfully, the church lifts up and supports the family by guiding us through shared religious experiences.  The church helps us through stress and uncertainty.  The warmth and structure of authoritative parenting foster confidence and social responsibility in our children.  Families of faith fare better.  

At Blessed Sacrament we are real people, Real Presence.  In our most recent bulletin, Father Benny reflects beautifully on motherhood and refers to our Adoration Chapel as “the hallmark of Blessed Sacrament Parish.”  Amen! Watch for new worship opportunities when the church moves into Phase Two. 

How wonderful it will be to rekindle friendships.  To get started, join our Parent Connect community on Wednesday May 13 at 8 pm.  Email me to register.  Take the time to check in with one another and take way faith-inspired ideas for thriving through quarantine.  And, hear what we are working on for summer and fall. We are Blessed Sacrament!

No comments:

Post a Comment