Friday, April 10, 2020

Good Friday

I share thoughts from the Facebook page of St. Michael's, my home parish in Stillwater.


The tradition of the Veneration of the Cross dates back to the fourth century. On Good Friday, the Christians in Jerusalem would gather before a relic of the true cross to kneel, bow, and kiss the cross in
remembrance of the Passion of Christ. Today, most churches venerate the cross during their Good Friday services. This moving practice inspires great prayer and meditation.
This year, due to the Coronavirus, many of the Easter Triduum Masses and services are online and the veneration of the cross on Good Friday is canceled.
So what do we do instead?
Here's your 3 step guide to venerating the cross at home:
You can place it on your mantle, a bookshelf, or a table. Put some lit candles nearby and prepare a place to kneel in front of it.
1) Put your most beautiful crucifix in a place of honor.
2) Kneel before the crucifix and spend some time in prayer.
Thank Jesus for the gift of our salvation, make an act of contrition, and say the Prayer Before the Crucifix:
Behold, O kind and most sweet Jesus, I cast myself upon my knees in Thy sight, and with the most fervent desire of my soul, I pray and beseech Thee that Thou wouldst impress upon my heart lively sentiments of faith, hope, and charity, with true contrition for my sins and a firm purpose of amendment; while with deep affection and grief of soul, I ponder within myself and mentally contemplate Thy five wounds, having before my eyes the words which David, Thy prophet put on Thy lips concerning Thee: 'They have pierced My hands and My feet, they have numbered all My bones' (Psalm 21: 17,18).
Say an Our Father, Hail Mary, and Glory Be.
3) Kiss the crucifix.
Spend as much time as you'd like to in prayer before the crucifix meditating on the Passion. Whenever you'd like to, kiss Jesus' feet on your crucifix and remember how truly loved we all are.

ALSO


Divine Mercy Novena starts today on Good Friday.
Here is the link for the prayers every day.



No comments:

Post a Comment